Lettuce Wraps Tonya’s Way
Close to PF Chang’s. Really good.
- 3 tablespoons oil – canola oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 1/3 cup mushrooms
- ¼ c tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8-10 leaves iceberg or ruffled lettuce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce – less sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1-2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
Stir Fry Sauce
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Hoisin Sauce
- Make the special sauce – disolve the sugar in water in a bowl.
- Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil.
- Mix and refrigerate this sauce until you’re ready to use.
- Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
- Add desired amount of mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to serve over wraps.
- Bring oil to high heat in wok / large frying pan.
- Sauté chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done.
- Remove chicken from pan and allow to cool.
- Keep oil in the pan.
- As chicken cools chop water chestnuts and mushrooms to appx the size of small peas.
- Prepare the stir fry sauce. Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, Hoisin sauce and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
- When chicken is cool, mince like the mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- Pan on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to pan.
- Add the stir fry sauce to pan. Sauté the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce.
- Top with the Special Sauce.